Legal Markers

In this section, you will find more information about legal name and gender markers in Alberta and resources on changing your IDs.

Much of our government-issued identification includes details about our identity we may wish to change if we do not identify with our sex assigned at birth and / or wish to transition. This might include your legal name and your gender marker.

Gender Marker 

  • In Alberta the gender marker options are M, F and X
  • X is currently not available on Alberta Health Care cards [as of May, 2020]
  • It can also not be guaranteed that the X gender marker on a passport will be accepted in other countries while traveling. 
  • As of July 2020, there is a $20 fee.

The Government of Alberta provides instructions on How to Change your Gender Marker.

When a Physician Letter may be required: Certain Provinces require a letter or form from a health care professional to change a gender marker. This information is based on the Province you were born in. Your Primary Care Provider or Registry can help you find the documentation/forms needed. If none are  available, a general template can be used. (Link Template)

To prepare, it is recommended to look up the gender marker change requirements that your birth certificate is from. If you are having difficulty finding that information, a local registry staff should be able to help you.

Name Changes

In Alberta, there is a fee of $120 to change your name. As well, you should know that you will be required to provide fingerprints (which is an additional cost that can vary).

The Government of Alberta provides instructions on How to Change your Name.

Help Changing Your ID

The Skipping Stone Foundation of Alberta runs ID Clinics, more information can be found here.

More Topics

Guardians of Trans and Gender Diverse Youth

All parents/legal guardians of a minor must consent to a legal name or gender marker change and do the paperwork...

Read more